Sunday 11 September 2011

I really have to stop having Hamster days.

With the threat of tropical storms and the back end of a hurricane hitting the UK, I decided it would be a good time to move my existing greenhouses and build the new one that has been sat in my garage for a week.
So over a 2 day period I completely re arranged my garden. The first task was to remove all of the plants in my way, Mostly consisting of a few hydrangeas, some test annuals that I had grown other bushes that I don't know the name of and one mammoth Hosta that had been driving me nuts for a long time.
Yes the flowers on the Hosta are nice but regardless of the amount of organic slug pellets I put near it that plant was like the slug equivalent of a Travelodge with build in restaurant.
The Hosta wasn't going to give up without a fight and it took nearly 30 Min's to remove in the process I also snapped my digging fork, but It was time well spent and I was so please to get rid.
The tomatoes also got cut down, I'm not complaining I made my first ever batch of green tomato chutney today.
Next job weed fabric and 25 bags of pea gravel, I'm kinda thinking if I get rid of the grass near the greenhouses it will cut down on moisture and bugs.
Moving 2 greenhouses, the plastic 6x4 tent thing - me and my wife - no big problems really. Then on to my 6x6 greenhouse - took 4 of us to lift and the amount of creaking and groaning it was making - I nearly had a panic attack lets put it that way.
With the news of very strong winds on the way, I was really struggling to decide to build my new greenhouse or not.
I kinda got to the thinking that if it survives 80mph winds it will be around for some time, We started building about 2 in the afternoon - 7pm it was getting dark the wind was picking up, it was starting to rain and I had about 7 glazing panels to snap in.
Also 1 door to build and a window, the good news was I really couldn't risk leaving them till the next day for fear of the wind getting in a causing damage,  so another hour was spent by torch light (still raining) finishing the build.
A small review for the company who made the greenhouse - really simple instructions, excellent design, good build quality, easy to construct and amazing value for money.
The negative - please find another way of securing the glazing panels, they are held in place by plastic strips that click in place (with brute force). I have blisters on most of my fingers, the last few panels almost brought me to tears (I need to add I'm no wimp - 6'2 tall and lots of muscles).
But with all that pain there is pleasure and I can grow a lot more plants now with so much more space.
If my maths is correct I now have 108 square ft under cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment