Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Big Experiment - Soil Mixes - Part 2 - Day 7 Update



Doesn't time fly when your having fun, Seven days have passed and the preliminary results are here. If I'm honest they have and haven't surprised me.
Looking at them it turns out the best soil mix for germinating seeds is (drum roll) soil. Allysum was showing growth after 2 days, then second was the perlite and soil mix on day 3.
Vermiculite and soil - vermiculite, soil and perlite came in a joint third.
Last was vermiculite and perlite only showing the slowest growth.
My thoughts:
Firstly the seedlings are looking quite leggy, thats my fault due to lack of space they shared a home with the tomatoes and chillies so light is at a premium.
I don't know if its me making excuses but the soil used is very expensive and designed for germinating seeds, would the results have been the same if I'd used normal general purpose compost.
I suppose its still the old me, everything needs to be upgraded and made better.
There is one big hurrah, I've never had sweet-corn germinate before.
Finally these results are just the beginning I want to see how the plants develop, those that need nutrients will be given them. So next set of results in seven days.

No comments:

Post a Comment