Thursday 2 June 2011

Hydroponics for the beginner :(

First I'm going to start with a couple of disclaimers.
I know my blog title states Technology out.
I'm going to stand by that and in my mind I class Hydroponics not as a growing Technology but more a science, just another growing medium.
On another level ethically I'm not so safe, I don't like to use of chemicals, pesticides etc. I have used slug pellets but they are organic so I'm told, safe for children and pets.
So then why hydroponics which is just water and chemicals, I like to play I cant help myself.
It was totally an accident. (sort of)
I got to thinking about my big experiment, those seeds without soil would die once they expend their own nutrients. At last an excuse to go to the hydroponics shop I've passed for months and wondered about.
The soon to be seedlings needed nutrients.
I came away from the shop with a bottle of nutrients, a very basic Deep Water Culture setup (called a bucket bubbler) and lots of magazines.
This works by suspending the plant in a nutrient solution and an air pump/air-stone highly oxygenate the water.
this site can explain it all a lot better than I can - http://www.easyhydroponics.net/
I see another experiment on its way. my cucumber plants (grown from seed about a month old) one plant has gone nuts, its double the size of its siblings.
Having planted out the ones I need its left me with lots of spare plants, I just can't figure out what to do with them even Jurassic plant on the right there.
1 hour later.
If hydroponics is as good as they say it is - this little cucumber should grow bigger than its bro, I'm not going to hold my breath :(
Again I will post updates in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment