Thursday 16 June 2011

The Big Experiment - Soil Mixes - Part 3 - day 16



Firstly apologies, It should be day 14 (I've been really busy - To be revealed later). The soil mix experiment almost at conclusion.

Most of the seedlings are now at a stage where i needed to pot on, The sweetcorn definitely needed it as their main roots must be about 8" long.
My conclusions.
This is really difficult, the slowest for germination was - the soil free mix (not exactly slow 16 days). Where it failed there was a plus point, by far the easiest to prick out and pot on.
As time has gone by I have developed my own method for germinating, a mix of soil - vericulite and a little perlite. the cover the seedlings with vermiculite. Water from the bottom and give one spray across the top to further dampen the vermiculite.
If it starts to look a little dry, water from the bottom - never spray the top.
I'm getting good results this way and no damping off. (touch wood)
There is another soil experiment I'm working on though and I will post the results when the time comes.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment