Thursday 9 June 2011

Weekly Update 9/06/11

Weekly update number one.
So much is currently happening in the garden. I spent a lot of time over the past couple of days, digging a new vegetable patch (I use the term vegetable patch loosely there is only tomato, basil and lettuce in it). It would seem that my soil type would be silty clay, that has been dried out and compressed over the years.
I went out to buy a digging fork as I was getting no where fast with a shovel, I should have bought a pick axe. With me having to resort to using a hatchet, it only took me two days.

The plants are really starting to flourish and I have been quite happily eating strawberries as they ripen. I have big plans for my strawberry patch which is now in my redundant greenhouse. I have a growbag across the bottom and then the shelves will also be filled with new plants.
I have given up cutting off the runners in the hopes of increasing fruit. Every time I remove a runner two new ones grow.

The marrow plant has gone nuts outside and produced its first flower (if you can call it that, looks like something off the alien films). I've never eaten a marrow before, I hope it tastes nice.


The Peppers are starting to flower.

Finally I have tomatoes after a long time waiting.

I mentioned in an earlier blog that I was guilty of overwatering my plants, I just never knew to what scale until now. Wilkinsons ph and moisture tester - £4 and worth every penny. Just stick the probe in and a meter will tell you how wet. I've not watered my Livingston daisies for 3 days and they are still wet.



No comments:

Post a Comment